When you decide to support a cause you care about, you want your donation to do as much good as possible. Doing some research can help ensure donations go to legitimate and qualified charities and help donors avoid scams. The IRS’s Tax Exempt Organization Search tool, is a great place to start.
Here are some key features and functions of this tool:
- It provides information about an organization’s federal tax status and filings.
- Donors can use it to confirm that an organization is tax-exempt and eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.
- Users can find out if an organization had its tax-exempt status revoked.
- Organizations are searchable by legal name or a doing business as name on file with the IRS or Employer Identification Number
- The search results are sortable by name, EIN, state and country.
As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to the Crosslin tax team at (615) 320-5500. We are here to help!